Cholesterol often gets a bad rap, but it’s integral to several bodily functions, from hormone synthesis to digestion.
For people with thyroid conditions, hypothyroidism is often associated with elevated total cholesterol and LDL, and hyperthyroidism is typically associated with lower cholesterol and LDL. In these cases, balancing your thyroid hormone levels usually improves your lipid panel.
Today I’m sharing the connection between thyroid hormone and cholesterol, why cholesterol is essential for your health, how your thyroid levels can impact your lipid panel, what you can do to improve your cholesterol, and more.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Lipid metabolism and the role of thyroid hormone
- The crucial functions of cholesterol in the body
- What we commonly see with total cholesterol levels and hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism
- What are LDL and HDL?
- How thyroid conditions impact LDL and HDL levels
- Why it’s important to test fasting triglyceride levels
- Thyroid hormones and lipid levels
- Concerns about low cholesterol and the production of sex hormones
- What research shows about the connection between thyroid hormones and lipids
- How antithyroid drugs can affect your lipid panel
As always, I hope you find this episode valuable, and I look forward to catching you in the next episode!
To learn more, visit the show notes at https://savemythyroid.com/podcast/cholesterol-and-thyroid-health/.
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Access hundreds of free articles at www.NaturalEndocrineSolutions.com
Visit Dr. Eric's YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/c/NaturalThyroidDoctor/
To work with Dr. Eric, visit https://savemythyroid.com/work-with-dr-eric/